After building an API about myself I wanted to get into another API project right away. I found this article on Scotch.io about building a CRUD API using NodeJS, Express, and MongoDB. As I have been learning the MEAN stack I have put off working with MongoDB. In my previous attempts I had multiple issues setting it up and running it locally. I had enough issues that I put it off for too long. The Scotch.io tutorial mentioned a couple different online hosts for MongoDB databases, one of which is mLab. They offer a free instance that you can use as a sandbox database for development purposes. This was perfect to me as I want to learn how to interact with MongoDB, retrieving data and saving new data, but I’m not interested in learning how to admin or run a MongoDB instance. At least, not at this time. So, having a way to easily run Mongo and work with it was a definite catalyst to this project. It also lead to this tweet.
In the Scotch.io article it goes over the basic setup of Express and Mongoose. I used that as a template for getting my API up and running. It was a pretty straightforward process as I only needed one route with the appropriate handlers for each verb. Working with Mongoose was really easy and it worked to set it up on the route file. Working with the Mongoose docs made it easy to get my schema as ai wanted. In my API I used Robots as the example object I am creating, reading, updating, and deleting. I gave the object two custom parameters, designation and evil. Designation is a string and seemed more appropriate for a robot rather than calling it name. And it feels pretty important to know if a robot is evil or not, so I have that as well as a boolean. Each of these are given to the API via query strings. Being that I only have the two parameters I went with query strings in the URL instead of parsing out the body of the requests. In my next project I want to make a more complex object and that should lend itself to working with constructing custom objects to provide in the requests. Maybe that one can be superheroes. I can probably come up with a few more parameters for a superhero object.
It felt like the project went pretty smoothly and I was able to it up and running. I used Postman for testing out the routes and worked pretty well. I was able to run the requests as I needed and simulate a few error situations. I already know of one that I am not accounting for right now that needs to be addressed which is that requests will still go through to the POST route if neither of the parameters are supplied. It will end up with an empty object being created with no designation or evil params. I need to fix it so that the request is checked for both before I go to the database with nonexistent values.
Once that is fixed I will feel pretty good about the project. In fact I am likely going to fix it after I post this tonight. Next, I am work on an API for a more complex object. After that, I want to tackle adding in authentication so that I can have individual users. Right now anyone could use this API and it will all come in as one person.
If you want to check out the project you can find it on Github here. Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments here or submit PRs with your own ideas.